Directions:(1-5) Pick out the most effective word/words from the given word/s to fill in the blanks to make the sentence meaningfully complete in the context of the sentence.
1. I have given myself _______ the end of September to finish my research.
2. It is _______ that John did not hurt himself when he fell off his motorbike.
3. You must not look directly at the sun _______ the eclipse.
4. The mist was so thick, it was like walking _______ a cloud.
5. I told my friend that he could not catch a big fish _______ a small rod like the one he was carrying, but he insisted _______ trying.
Directions:(6-10) Each question below has two blanks, each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the set of words for each blank which best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
6. Adding to a growing body of research _______ cutting back on sweetened beverages it is now found that drinking _______ sugary drinks may help lower blood pressure.
7. The blame game for the air tragedy is already in full _______ with the authorities involved making attempts to _______ for themselves.
8. The actress, wearing a dark gray suit and open necked shirt, sat _______ the proceedings looking nervous throughout, occasionally frowning as her lawyer _______ with the judge.
9. It was an excellent social evening with people from all _______ of life getting a chance to let their hair _______.
10. There can be no denying the fact that in sports, star coaches have the_______ to get something extra out of their _______.