Directions(1-10) In each of the following questions a statement is given, followed by two conclusions. Give answer :
1. Statements : In Japan, the incidence of stomach cancer is very high, while that of bowel cancer is very low. But Japanese immigrate to Hawaii, this is reversed – the rate of bowel cancer increases but the rate of stomach cancer is reduced in the next generation. All this is related to nutrition – the diets of Japanese in Hawaii are different than those in Japan.
I. The same diet as in Hawaii should be propagated in Japan also.
II. Bowel cancer is less severe than stomach cancer.
2. Statements : The Government run company had asked its employees to declare their income and assets but it has been strongly resisted by employees union and no employee is going to declare his income.
I. The employees of this company do not seem to have any additional undisclosed income besides their salary.
II. The employees union wants all senior officers to declare their income first.
3. Statements : Monitoring has become an integral part in the planning of social development programmes. It is recommended that Management Information System be developed for all programmes. This is likely to give a feedback on the performance of the functionaries and the efficacy with which services are being delivered.
I. All the social development programmes should be evaluated.
II. There is a need to monitor the performance of workers.
4. Statements : The T.V. programmes, telecast specially for women are packed with a variety of recipes and household hints. A major portion of magazines for women also contains the items mentioned above.
I. Women are not interested in other things.
II. An average woman’s primary interest lies in home and specially in the kitchen.
5. Statements : The distance of 900 km by road between Bombay and Jafra will be reduced to 280 km by sea. This will lead to a saving of Rs. 7.92 crores per annum on fuel.
I. Transportation by sea is cheaper than that by road.
II. Fuel must be saved to the greatest extent
6. Statements : Jade plant has thick leaves and it requires little water.
I. All plants with thick leaves require little water.
II. Jade plants may be grown in places where water is not in abundance.
7.Statements : Use “Kraft” colours. They add colour to our life. – An advertisement.
I. Catchy slogans do not attract people.
II. People like dark colours.
8. Statements : All those political prisoners were released on bail who had gone to jail for reasons other than political dharnas. Bail was not granted to persons involved in murders.
I. No political – prisoner had committed murder.
II. Some politicians were not arrested.
9. Statements : Modern man influences his destiny by the choice he makes unlike in the past.
I. Earlier there were fewer options available to man.
II. There was no desire in the past to influence the destiny.
10. Statements : Water supply in wards A and B of the city will be affected by about 50% on Friday because repairing work of the main lines is to be carried out.
I. The residents in these wards should economise on water on Friday.
II. The residents in these wards should store some water on the previous day.